Sunday, September 22, 2013

Let the children come to me.

The other day I took the kids down the street for a bike ride.  We live close to a small cemetery - a great, safe spot for a 6, 4 and 2-year-old to cruise around on their bikes.  Caroline is now 6 and stopped to look at a grave that was prepared for a funeral later that morning.  With her dad being a minister and her youngest brother having died a year ago, Caroline has more exposure to death than most children.  But this trip to the cemetery I think she actually got it.  These graves were the sacred places for others' loved ones.  As Ethan's Macintosh tree is a sacred place for our family.

On the way out of the cemetery Caroline noticed a statue of Jesus at the entrance.  I looked up and all 3 of my kids had stopped and were talking about Jesus.  This was a moment as a parent that made me thankful and proud.  That my children know Jesus.  And love him.  Hey - we may have our hot mess moments but this moment reminded me that we are doing something right as parents.

Caroline face looked as if something dawned upon her.  "Ohhh.  This must be where Jesus died."  She thought the statue of Jesus was his actual grave.  So sweet.  Our quaint New England town is not exactly The Holy Land.  It makes complete sense if you are a 6-year-old.  I explained otherwise and read a scripture quote inscribed on the statue.  Reviewing that God sent his son Jesus to our world to tell us he loves us and so we may go to Heaven when we die.  Jackson and Ryan gently touched the statue - I think they were assessing whether this statue of Jesus was really alive or not.  Much like they assess mannequins in stores.  Even the ones with no heads mind you.  The boys and I moved along and I glance backwards to see Caroline patting Jesus' head.

  "What are you doing Caroline?"

  "Telling him he did a good job."

  Oh, sure.  Providing positive reinforcement much like we do in our family.  A 6-year-old is an amazing thing.  Yes Jesus, you did a good job.

  Let the children come to me.  And the Gray children followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment